UK General Election 2017: votes wasted in Cornwall

It is hard to comprehend  just how broken and dysfunctional our voting system is. But these figures by the Electoral Reform Society  and the BBC give you some idea.

That means that only 10,173,321 votes – or 32% –  actually mattered! The rest – 68% of the vote -was a wasted vote!

That’s because you only need one more vote than the second-place candidate to win a seat. After that any extra votes might as well have not been cast.

Cornish Constituencies

I have set out below the amount of votes wasted for each of the constituencies in Cornwall. Please share widely and please lets start thinking differently; there is absolutely no point in gearing up for the next election while ignoring the need for electoral reform. It should be in every party’s manifesto, Labour especially since, on average, it has to gain 6,000 more votes per seat than the Conservatives – see the tree diagram below by Make Votes Matter.

tree diagram-votes

Top of the league in terms of wasted votes was South Cornwall with over three quarters of votes wasted, followed by St Austell and Newquay.

 St Ives

In St Ives a shocking 29,418 voters didn’t make a difference to the result.

That’s 57% of votes cast in St Ives!

Camborne, Redruth and Hayle

In Camborne and Redruth  27,032 voters didn’t make a difference to the result.

That’s 55% of votes cast in Camborne and Redruth!

Truro and Falmouth

In Truro and Falmouth  35,316 voters didn’t make a difference to the result.

That’s 62% of votes cast in Truro and Falmouth!

St Austell and Newquay

In St Austell and Newquay  38,498 voters didn’t make a difference to the result.

That’s 71% of votes cast in St Austell and Newquay!

North Cornwall

In North Cornwall  32,309 voters didn’t make a difference to the result.

That’s 63% of votes cast in North Cornwall!

South Cornwall

In South East Cornwall a shocking 41,164 voters didn’t make a difference to the result.

That’s 77% of votes cast in South East Cornwall!

 

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “UK General Election 2017: votes wasted in Cornwall

    1. agreed – and no-one is more gutted than myself. But do you agree in the point that I am trying to make? Do you even see it?

      Like

      1. Well it’s not a new argument, but I get your point. Proportional rep and all that. But I am still really frustrated that pa didn’t see the change that was happening during the election campaigns and change their recommended tactical vote. I live in fal and it was obvious swaves of lib dem voters were switching to labour and we were even sticking signs up to try and get the message out. To try and override pa’s advice.

        Like

  1. well……as I say, I felt sick when I realised what was happening. To be fair it wasnt just me, there is a group of us from different parties that meet regularly and we all thought this was the best way to go. I so hope that Labour will adopt this system so that we never ever have to do this in future. The whole tactical voting thing leaves a bad taste in everyone’s mouth.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s